Do you have tooth decay or cavities, but the thought of a drill is enough to keep you from the dentist? Air abrasion is an alternative to the dreaded dental drill that makes for more comfortable dental procedures to relieve your dental fear. Dr. James DeFinnis, a Trucksville, PA, dentist, performs air abrasion.
What is Air Abrasion?
The process of air abrasion cleans decay and stains from your teeth via a handset that blasts a stream of clean, dry air, combined with small abrasive particles, onto the surfaces of the teeth. Air abrasion works most effectively in removing of minor discoloration or stains and repairing or replacing small composite fillings. Dr. DeFinnis can also expose hidden cavities—which he can find using Diagnodent—with air abrasion, allowing him to remove those cavities and restore the tooth with a composite filling.
What Are the Benefits of Air Abrasion?
Air abrasion holds many benefits over the traditional hand piece, leading to a much more pleasant trip to the dentist:
- Involves no heat, sound, pressure or vibration
- Reduced need for anesthesia, especially in cases of shallow cavities
- Allows for more conservative procedures, preserving more healthy tooth tissue
- Leaves the remaining tooth relatively dry, making composite filling placement easier
- Reduces the risk of tiny chips or fractures in the teeth, preventing premature failure of the filling
- Makes it possible for dentists to perform work on multiple teeth in one visit
Your dental visits can be more peaceful and comfortable thanks to air abrasion.
If you are interested in air abrasion, or any of our other hi-tech dental tools, please call our Trucksville, PA, dental practice today at 570-763-4360. Back Mountain Dental offers sedation and general dentistry to patients in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, PA, and surrounding areas