Most people have heard of sedation dentistry as a way to stay calm and comfortable during dental procedures. What many patients don’t know is that sedation comes in a variety of forms to help patients with a variety of needs.
One of the most conservative forms or sedation is nitrous oxide, fondly dubbed “laughing gas”. This sweet smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years because it’s completely safe and adds comfort to patients’ experiences in the dental chair.
There are many advantages to using nitrous oxide, including:
- The patient is able to breathe independently and remain completely in control of all bodily functions.
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease the level of sedation.
- There are no after effects, such as lethargy, headaches, or nausea.
- Inhalation of sedation is safe with no impact on your heart, lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- Laughing gas works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as few as 2 to 3 minutes, its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
Though there are no major risks from using nitrous oxide, it may not be right for you if you have emphysema, chest problems, M.S., or difficulty breathing.
To find out if nitrous oxide is right for you, contact Back Mountain Dental in Trucksville at (570) 763-4360 to reserve an appointment with Dr. James DeFinnis. Dr. DeFinnis will listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and work with you to design a treatment plan that will keep you comfortable and relaxed, but will also give you the results you’re looking for.